Oof....when springs and rods get this rusted due to a player's body chemistry it can be a real challenge to contend with.
Materials can often be exchanged to help slow the degradation of pads but even just regular maintenance can go a long way in keeping things like rust to a minimum. Thankfully everything came apart easily and didn't require penetrating oil or heat.
I will most likely have to replace a bunch of these leaf / flat springs and will also take the extra step of coating them in a light layer of grease to help keep saliva and other acidic body oils from attacking them.
One of the things I really enjoy is trimming / making my key and bumper cork work as clean as possible. The truth is that the key materials are hidden on the underside of the key-work and most of my customers will never know it's there....but **I** know it's there and it makes me happy to know I spent time on making it look nice.
Here's a quick snapshot of key / bumper materials glued onto clarinet key-work before it gets trimmed up really nice and neat. Old materials have to be stripped off and the keys need to be roughed up for the glue to adhere properly. Using fresh razor blades, scalpels, sandpaper and other abrasives we'll trim up the materials to follow the contour of the key.
I'll post a follow up so you can see the difference after the materials are 'manicured' properly.
On the bench -- an old-school Buffet R13 that's nearly 60 years old. I particularly dig the old cases with their catch phrase on the inside. I wonder if Buffet still feels the same way about their instruments after all this time. Buffet was OG cool before everyone else.
Anyhow, keys are stripped and ready to get dropped into the polishing tumbler while I find some lunch.
So far, a good Monday and I'm glad to be making headway on some of my back burner projects.